Oparara Guided Tours
Tucked away in a corner of Kahurangi National Park, The Oparara has a magic all of its own, born of a million years of undisturbed isolation.
The Oparara’s affinity with Tolkien’s mystical forests is today reflected in the Lord of the Rings names now scattered throughout the Basin.
Rich unspoiled rainforest stretching across a broad valley floor, three magnificent arches sculpted by the Oparara River, bush-fringed streams stained the colour of billy tea from the humic acids washing down through the soil, and an underground treasure hidden away in a highly complex cave system, combine to make this remarkable area one of immense national and international significance.
Guided Tours of the Oparara basin, limestone arches and caves are available daily, with pickup from your Karamea accommodation or the Karamea Information & Resource Centre:
- Oparara Basin Eco Tour Departs 9am Duration – 5 hours
- Honeycomb Hill Cave/Arch Guided Tour Departs 9am – Duration 5 hours
- Guided Cave Tour Departs 10am & 1.30pm – Duration 2 1/2 hours
- Guided Arches Eco Tour Departs 10am – Duration 2 1/2 hours
- Custom Tours are also available
Prior booking essential Tel. 03 7826 652 (8pm and 10am cut off time for bookings)
For more information, or to book a tour online visit oparara.co.nz/guided-tours.